23 January 2015

TRAVEL SOLO - CHECK!

“The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life” – Agnes Repplier

Bucketlist #20 Travel Alone – CHECKED!

Never did I expect for it to happen this year or anytime soon. Though what I am sure of is that I will travel a lot this year. Oh well, life’s circumstances are very unpredictable, and I am not complaining.


How did it happen?

Last month, when a special non-working holiday was announced for January 15 to 19 (5 days off!!!), I instantly psyched myself that I will go on a surfing trip. It’s been a year and a half since my last surfing trip. Let’s just say that my love for it grew because I found my “first love” on the waves and it has been our “thing” together. So, when I had my first heartbreak, I also lost the drive on doing it often. I have moved on from my relationship, but I can’t seem to let go of surfing. I got stoked!

So, I immediately look for possible surf buddies. Within a month, there were already 4 cancellations. I thought the last one was a definite, but she backed out 2 days prior the trip. Thought about continuing deeply - of which you already know the decision. Technically, I wasn’t alone because I joined a travel group – Barefoot Travel. The thought of being alone in a far place only caved in when I was seated beside the driver. I had 5 hours (one-way) with no one to talk to (the driver wasn't that friendly). But the benefits of joining a travel group is everything arranged for you and all you need to do is enjoy the destination. When we got to Baler, I chose to exempt myself from city tours and have no itinerary at all. I was owning my "solo traveling" experience! 


How was traveling alone?

Liberating. I am used to being on my own most of the time, but being out of my comfort zone full of strangers gave me a deeper sense of freedom. Imagine enjoying a paradise at your own terms - isn't that fascinating? I felt more appreciative of my simple decisions like what to eat, when to sleep or where to hang out. I also felt more responsible of myself, my belongings and actions, like I matured over the weekend. Traveling alone really opens huge opportunity of meeting new people. Had good convos with my van-mates, lunch with the huge family of my roommate (i invited myself haha), a great food trip with my roomies, and late-night inspiring conversations with foreigners who are solo travelers too. I treasured the humble time I spent with locals, especially my surf instructors. Hearing the simple joys they get from the sport and living in the province is very inspiring. Of course, solo traveling leads to so many reflections. I used the sleepless journey to pray and ponder on things I might have ignored. t is really "quiet" yet relaxing to be a complete stranger too in a far place. Since being alone doesn't necessarily mean you are lonely, I realized that this trip was a great decision because I have my self + a beautiful place to complete me.

How did traveling alone changed you?

This experience re-affirmed my independent and fearless character. Just a few months ago, I began to enjoy and value my alone time that has developed my self-confidence. I believe solo traveling is the best therapy to find yourself, moreover, appreciate your worth. I also saw several things in a new perspective; like how I find solace in a place full of strangers, importance of friendships, and going places enriches one's soul. My thirst for more travels intensified, so on chances of doing it again, I will say YES definitely.  


Surfs and heads up! Here's to more meaningful trips - with or without companion :)